2017 AMGEN TOUR OF CALIFORNIA BRINGS WORLD-CLASS CYCLING AND FAN EXPERIENCES TO PASADENA MAY 20, 2017
Finish Line “Lifestyle Festival” and Custom VIP Experiences Immerse Fans in One of America’s Largest, Most Exciting Sporting Events With Professional Cyclists
PASADENA, Calif.–It is America’s most prestigious professional cycling race, and the Pasadena finish for the 2017 Amgen Tour of California on May 20, 2017 will feature exciting experiences for fans of all ages. As part of a day-long Lifestyle Festival, custom VIP Experiences are available for those who want to be even closer to the world-class competition and competitors. America’s largest cycling event is accessible and entertaining for everyone, from families to outdoor enthusiasts to race fanatics.
Since its inception in 2006, the Amgen Tour of California has become one of the most important races on the international cycling calendar, showcasing the most accomplished cyclists from around the world. The men’s race will cover 575 miles through 12 Host Cities from Sacramento to Pasadena, where it finishes on Green Street, just outside Paseo Colorado on May 20.
Look at the maps and other information on this page for more details. Please note that there will be road closures and temporary No Parking zones that will be strictly enforced.
TOWED VEHICLES & PARKING ENFORCEMENT UPDATE:
Traffic and parking enforcement will begin sweeping the route at 11 a.m., Saturday, May 20, for vehicles parked along the race course. Vehicles located in violation will be cited and then a tow request will be made. Stand-by tow trucks will remove the vehicle to the former Kaiser parking lot at 450 N. Lake Avenue. Vehicles claimed before 5 p.m. May 20 will be released to the owner without tow fees. Vehicles not picked up by 5 p.m. will be stored in the normal manner.
For inquiries about towed vehicles prior to 2 p.m. on event day, May 20, call (626) 795-9311. For inquiries about towed vehicles after 2 p.m. on race day call (626) 744-4241.
RACE ROUTE INFO
Routes for all of the stages can be found here:
The individual routes, per stage, are on the Tour’s website: http://amgentourofcalifornia.com/stages/
Below is the route map specific to Pasadena. Make plans to stake your spot along the route to cheer on your favorite bicyclist. Don’t forget to bring your cow bell to ring as those daring road racers zip past you. Scroll down past the map and related info to read more about the exciting Lifestyle Festival and other viewing opportunities.
EVENT INFO AND BACKGROUND
Unlike any other sport, fans of all ages have opportunities to interact with the athletes before the race kicks off each morning. Fans can really learn about their favorite sport at the finish line.
“It is a tremendous privilege that Pasadena will get to play a part in such a storied sporting event,” said Michael Ross, CEO of the Pasadena Center Operating Company. “We are very excited to be the community that will crown the winner of this year’s Amgen Tour of California.”
While fans await the cyclists at each day’s finish line, they can partake in the race’s popular daylong Lifestyle Festival. Designed to provide and promote healthy lifestyle and cycling-related experiences, the Lifestyle Festival offers a day of free entertainment and fun for everyone, from families to first-time race visitors to veteran fans.
Located adjacent to the Stage 7 overall finish line on Green Street, the Lifestyle Festival is an engaging and interactive space for fans. Featuring more than 40 exhibitors daily, family activities, food and drink, live race streaming on large video screens, cancer and cardiovascular awareness education and more, the Lifestyle Festival provides the perfect place for attendees to spend time during the race. Information on exhibitor opportunities is available at http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/festival. A schedule of events will be posted closer to the race – highlights will include:
- Amgen, a biotechnology company in the race to dramatically improve patients’ lives, is proud to sponsor the Amgen Tour of California yet again this year. To raise awareness around two of the world’s most serious illnesses and connect with patients, title sponsor Amgen will host two booths; Breakaway from Cancer® and Breakaway from Heart Disease™ at the Lifestyle Festival.
- Breakaway from Cancer® is a national initiative to increase awareness of important resources available to people affected by cancer – from prevention through survivorship. Representatives from Amgen’s four Breakaway from Cancer® independent nonprofit partners will be on-site, offering information and support for festivalgoers who are interested in prevention, facing a new diagnosis, caring for a loved one, or struggling with financial issues. In addition, event attendees will have the opportunity to buy an Amgen Tour of California-themed t-shirt with all proceeds benefiting the Breakaway from Cancer® independent nonprofit partners.
- Amgen’s newest initiative Breakaway from Heart DiseaseTM will encourage Americans to be aware of their risk of heart disease through cholesterol and blood pressure screening, courtesy of the American Heart Association, to understand how lifestyle choices can impact their risk of heart disease and to feel empowered and take action to eat better and get active for good heart health!
- The Lexus space at the Lifestyle Festival near the finish line each day will be built out of a refurbished shipping container with athletically inspired design and points of interest throughout. Guests can visit two fully immersive virtual reality experiences. Lexus Elevate will give cycling fans the opportunity to follow former pro Christian Vande Velde on a ride while he describes his thoughts on cycling’s most enduring question… Why ride? Guests in the space will also have the opportunity to enjoy the VR Cycling Challenge within a virtual peloton, 3-D spatial sound and a 360-degree view. The Lexus F SPORT Bike will be on display and the live race broadcast via the Microsoft Tour Tracker will be available for viewing.
- The Maxxis BMX Stunt Team performs across the country, bringing thrilling BMX displays to professional sporting events, exhibitions and fairs. The team consists of some of the best riders in the country, as seen on the X Games and Dew Tour, throwing down tricks that will be sure to impress. The team will perform daily at the Amgen Tour of California Finish Line, so be sure to stop by and cheer them on!
- Strider Races are local race and play experiences created at the grassroots level designed to let toddlers and young kids ages 18 months to 5 years old explore the world on two wheels and participate in some friendly competitive riding. Strider Races will be held at select Start and Finish Cities including South Lake Tahoe, Elk Grove, Sacramento, Big Bear Lake and Pasadena. For more information or to register, please visit http://amgentourofcalifornia.com/strider.
Cycling fans can’t get any closer to the action at the Amgen Tour of California and the Amgen Breakaway from Heart Disease™ Women’s Race empowered with SRAM than race-day VIP Experiences. These limited edition hospitality packages are the only way for fans to get on the course and behind the scenes during a stage of America’s Greatest Race. Each custom-designed experience will bring fans closer to the action and the world’s most talented and decorated men and women cyclists:
- VIP Car Ride ($600-$700): A behind-the-scenes experience like no other in professional sports; guests are actually a part of the race watching the riders up close inside the peloton! Arrive at the finish ahead of the cyclists and watch them cross the finish line. Participants will receive an official Amgen Tour of California jersey and hospitality pass. Limited availability remains for select stages.
- Time Trial Ride at Big Bear Lake on May 19, 2017 ($300): Ride the official Time Trial Stage on your bike just hours before the pros take the course.
- Finish Line Experience ($500): Get a glimpse of the inner workings of the event. Visit the broadcast compound, which generates the feed that is simulcast to over 200 countries and territories. Check out the backstage area where the riders prepare for the daily awards ceremony. Get insight and knowledge from industry friends and experts! Includes Hospitality Pass and a Commemorative gift.
- Michelob Ultra VIP Club / Start & Finish Line Hospitality ($65-$225): Perfect for friends, family, clients and employees, experience all the excitement of race day from the comfort of lounge-style seating with exclusive premium views of the action, all-inclusive food, beverage (beer, wine and soda) and live feeds of the final two hours of the race at select stages. Discounts available for multiple stages and groups of 6+.
About the Pasadena Center Operating Company
The Pasadena Center Operating Company is a nonprofit corporation 501(c)(4) formed by the City of Pasadena to manage the Pasadena Convention Center, the Pasadena Civic Auditorium, the Pasadena Convention & Visitors Bureau, and the Pasadena Ice Skating Center. The PCOC was one of the first independent non-profit organizations in the US to combine its facility operations and destination marketing efforts. The PCOC is governed by a 15-member board of directors and is funded by earned revenue from its facilities, proceeds from a tourism business improvement district that is funded by a hotel/motel assessment, and a portion of the hotel/motel transient occupancy tax. More info at www.visitpasadena.com.
About the Amgen Tour of California
The Amgen Tour of California is a Tour de France-style cycling road race created and presented by AEG that challenges the world’s top professional cycling teams to compete along a demanding course that traverses hundreds of miles of California’s iconic highways, byways and coastlines each spring. The teams chosen to participate have included Olympic medalists, Tour de France contenders and World Champions.
The first-ever U.S. UCI WorldTour course will cover more than 575 miles through 12 Host Cities May 14-20, including Sacramento, Modesto, San Jose, Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, Santa Barbara, Santa Clarita, Ontario, Mt. Baldy, Big Bear Lake, Mountain High and Pasadena.
The Amgen Breakaway from Heart Disease™ Women’s Race empowered with SRAM May 11-14 will cover more than 250 miles through South Lake Tahoe, Elk Grove and Sacramento, concluding as the men’s race gets underway. More information is available at www.amgentourofcalifornia.com.
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people’s lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world’s leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
Headquartered in Los Angeles, California, AEG is the world’s leading sports venue and live entertainment company. With offices on five continents, AEG operates in the following business segments: AEG Facilities, which is affiliated with or owns, manages or consults with more than 120 preeminent arenas, stadiums, theaters, clubs and convention centers around the world including The O2 Arena, the Sprint Center and the Mercedes-Benz Arenas; AEG Live, which is dedicated to all aspects of live contemporary music performances, including producing and promoting global and regional concert tours, music and special events and world-renowned festivals; AEG Real Estate, which develops world-class venues, as well as major sports and entertainment districts like STAPLES Center and L.A. LIVE; AEG Sports, which is the world’s largest operator of sports franchises and high-profile sporting events; and AEG Global Partnerships, which oversees worldwide sales and servicing of sponsorships including naming rights, premium seating and other strategic partnerships. Through its worldwide network of venues, portfolio of powerful sports and music brands and its integrated entertainment districts, AEG entertains more than 100 million guests annually. More information about AEG can be found at www.aegworldwide.com.
# # #
Christine Susa, Pasadena Convention & Visitors Bureau, 300 East Green Street, Pasadena, Ca. 91101 (626) 395-0211 email@example.com
Michael Roth, AEG
Josh Levitt, Canvas Blue for Amgen Tour of California