CELEBRATE ONE CITY, ONE STORYPASADENA, Calif. — Chosen from a field of compelling nominees, the book selection for Pasadena’s 15th One City, One Story community reading celebration is The Sympathizer by author Viet Thanh Nguyen. The New York Times bestseller has sparked an intriguing blend of book talks, art and writing contests, films, workshops and other activities throughout March, encouraging the community to join in conversation about the book. All events are free and open to the public.
ABOUT THE NOVEL
The winner of the 2016 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction as well as five other awards, The Sympathizer is the breakthrough novel of the year. With the pace and suspense of a thriller and prose that has been compared to Graham Greene’s and Saul Bellow’s, The Sympathizer is a sweeping story of love and betrayal. The narrator, a communist double agent, is a “man of two minds,” a half-French, half-Vietnamese army captain who arranges to come to America after the Fall of Saigon. While building a new life with other Vietnamese refugees in Los Angeles, he is secretly reporting back to his communist superiors in Vietnam. The Sympathizer is a blistering exploration of identity and America, a gripping espionage novel, and a powerful story of love and friendship.
Author Viet Thanh Nguyen will join Pasadena Public Library Director Michelle Perera in conversation to discuss his experiences writing The Sympathizer. A question and answer session with the audience will immediately follow. Thursday, March 2, 7 p.m.
All Saints Church, Sanctuary, 132 N. Euclid Ave., Pasadena.Event parking is available in surrounding parking facilities. All parking is fee-based.
• Event - Author Experiences
Viet Thanh Nguyen will share his experiences as an author with college students, followed by a question and answer session. Nguyen’s books will be available for sale and signing following the program.
Thursday, March 2, 11 a.m., Pasadena City College, Creveling Lounge (Campus Center), 1570 East Colorado Blvd.
- Workshop - Write Your Own One City, One Story
- Community Panel - An American War Comes Home: Wars’ Impact On Communities
- Workshop - My City, My Story
- Family Activity
- Trinh Mai: An Artist’s Vietnamese American Journey
- 2017 One City, One Story Art & Writing Contest winners announced
- Ane Thanh Lion Dance
- Vietnamese Folktales by storyteller Barbara Wong
- Author Kim Fay discusses her book Communion: A Culinary Journey Through Vietnam
- Jonathan Gold’s 7 Picks for Vietnamese Cuisine
- Family Crafts
ART & WRITING CONTESTS Inspired by the 2017 One City, One Story selection, The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen.
- Art Contest Pasadena children and teens in grades 3 - 12 are invited to submit their original artwork for the One City, One Story Art Contest.
- Single-frame illustration in pencil, pen, ink or paint depicting a traveler or traveling.
- Size can range from 8” x 10” to 22” x 28.”
- May be submitted to any Pasadena Public Library site.
- All entries must be accompanied by a completed application form. Illustration must include artist’s contact information.
- Entries will be judged based on creativity, technical skill and execution. Entry deadline: Monday, March 6 • Writing Contest: “The Traveler” Pasadena children and teens in grades 3 – 12 are invited to submit their original short story about a traveler or traveling, true or fictionalized.
- Stories must be original and the writer’s own work.
- All entries must be accompanied by a completed application form.
- Stories may be submitted with a completed and signed entry form to any Pasadena Public Library site, or emailed to Jane Gov at email@example.com. Entry deadline: Monday, March 6 A first, second, and third prize will be awarded in each category. Art contest winners will receive a gift basket of art items. Writing contest winners will receive a gift basket of literary items.
FILM SERIESThe March film selections complement and expand on the themes of the One City, One Story selection, The Sympathizer. Central Library/Donald Wright Auditorium • 285 E. Walnut St. WEDNESDAYS Presented by The Friends of The Pasadena Public Library. March 1 • 1:30 p.m. The Scent of Green Papaya (1993) NR March 8 • 1 p.m. Good Morning, Vietnam (1987) R March 15 • 1 p.m. The Children of An Lac (1980) NR March 22 • 1 p.m. A Healing, A Journey Back to Vietnam (1997) NR March 29 • 1 p.m. Owl and the Sparrow (2007) PG THURSDAYS March 16 • 6:30 pm Last Days in Vietnam (2014) NR March 23 • 7 p.m. Remembering Vietnam: The Wall at 25 (2007) NR March 30 • 6:30 p.m. REUNIFICATION (2015) NR Pasadena Public Library’s annual One City, One Story program is designed to broaden and deepen an appreciation of reading and literature in the community, engage participants in dialogue and bring Pasadenans together by promoting greater understanding of differing points of view. The novel is available for check-out at all Pasadena public libraries and for sale at local bookstores. For more information, visit www.onecityonestory.com or call (626) 744-7076.
# # #