Special Events Office

Welcome to Special Events Online! The City of Pasadena has established an office to help you coordinate the various approvals and logistics required for holding events on public property targeted primarily to the general public.

The Pasadena Special Events Office annually manages 80 major public events a year such as community festivals, parades, sporting events, award shows, car shows & more! Pasadena is proud to host a variety of events including the Pasadena Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon, Make Music Pasadena and the world-famous Tournament of Roses Parade.

Special Events Process, Fees and FAQs


Special Events Inquiry Sheet & Application Process

Before we can approve for your event, we need more information from you. Please complete a Special Event Inquiry Sheet to provide us more information about your proposed event.

If you are a planning a wedding or private event at City Hall, please do not complete a Special Event Inquiry Sheet.  Please contact the Public Works contact below for information about availability, rates, and permit requirements.

  • Depending on the size and scope of your event, applications must be received anywhere from 6 weeks to 9 months prior to your event day.
  • Submission of an inquiry sheet does not confirm approval of your event request.
  • For a first-time event, you may be asked to provide an event proposal detailing aspects of the event including, but not limited to:  location, event logistics, experience, target audience, marketing and promotion plan, etc.

Once you complete the Special Event Inquiry Sheet, please forward it to one of the following City Departments depending on the type of event proposed:

Large-scale Events

Economic Development Large-scale events that bring visitors to the City and promote Pasadena as a tourist destination are managed by the Economic Development Division. (Examples include: Tournament of Roses Post Parade, Rock’n’Roll Half Marathon, Make Music Pasadena, Concourso Ferrari, & the Doo Dah Parade).

Special Events Inquiry Sheet

(626) 744-4660

Community-oriented Events

Human Services & Recreation Events that are more local in nature and geared towards a particular constituency are coordinated by the Human Services & Recreation Department. (Examples include: 5k’s, cultural festivals, church picnics, and non-profit fundraisers).

Human Services Inquiry Sheet

Dolores Mendoza
Special Events Coordinator
(626) 744-7507

City Hall/Weddings/Private Events

Public Works Department Weddings and private events at City Hall in the courtyard and rotunda are coordinated by the Public Works Department. (Do not submit an inquiry sheet.  Please email or call the Public Works contact listed below)

City Hall Courtyard or Rotunda Areas Permit Application

Rosa De La Torre
Administrative Specialist
(626) 744-4195

Personal photography does not require a commercial film permit, however professional photographers are required to have a Pasadena Business License.
For further information, please contact the Business License division at (626) 744-4166.


Download Adobe Reader


Special Event Fees Effective July 1, 2017

Click here to view The General Fee Schedule


Special Events FAQ’s

Special Event Permit Process

What kinds of events require special event permits?

Events that are open to the general public and take place within the public right-of-way or are located within a park would be coordinated through the special event permit process. Typically, these events require permits, licenses and approvals from several City departments depending on the size and nature of the special event.

How do I get a permit to hold a special event in Pasadena?

To initiate the special event permitting process, please complete the “Special Event Inquiry Sheet” available online at www.cityofpasadena.net/events. Email the completed inquiry sheet to .  Please note that the acceptance of your applications should in no way be construed as final approval of your event. The City of Pasadena requires that event applications be submitted at least 6 weeks in advance of the proposed event date. Events with major impacts must be submitted 9 months in advance.

What happens after I submit my special event permit application?

Once your Inquiry Sheet has been received by the Special Events Office you will be contacted to discuss your event proposal. Copies of the application will be distributed to all city departments impacted by your event. A coordinating meeting may be held to clarify questions and ensure that you are meeting all of the requirements of the special event permitting process. During the coordinating meeting you will be notified if your event requires any additional information, permits, licenses or certificates.

If an event is on private property, what kinds of permits do I need?

A special event permit is not required for events that take place on private property. Depending on the nature of the event, various permits may be required including the following:

If you will have food sales please contact the Health Department for a Health Permit at (626) 744-6064.
If the food vendor is using open flame or cooking equipment, please contact the Fire Department for an Open Flame Permit at (626) 744-4668.
If you will have tents a Tent Permit is required from the Permit Center at (626) 744-6777.
If you are using amplified sound you must adhere to the City’s noise ordinance regarding hours of amplified sound and sound decibel limitations.
Please contact the Police Department’s Event Planning Section at (626) 744-4623 if you would like to hire Police Officers for your event. You may also contact the Watch Commander at (626) 744-4501 the morning of your event to notify them that the activity is taking place.

How do I get a permit to hold my wedding or private reception at City Hall?

Please contact the Public Works Department for date availability, reservations, and applications for City Hall events. Public Works can be reached at (626) 744-4195.


How can I become a vendor at a special event?

Vendors interested in participating at a special event must contact the event sponsor or promoter directly and apply to be a vendor at their event. Contact information for event sponsors/promoters can be found on the events calendar at www.cityofpasadena.net/events. Once you’re accepted to be a vendor at a special event, you must apply for a business license from the Business license Office.

How can I become a vendor at the Rose Parade?

Vendors interested in vending during the Rose Parade must apply for a New Year’s Vendor Permit which can be obtained from the Business License Office at (626) 744-4166.

What kind of permit do I need to complete for a neighborhood block party?

Neighborhood block parties require a Public Right-of-Way Permit Application from the Public Works Department 744-4195.