Some areas of the City are governed by existing Master Development Plans. These plans set forth the rules for development on property owned by major public institutions in Pasadena and are the implementation tools of the General Plan in these areas. The Master Plans set forth the maximum amount, type and location of future development which will occur for the institution during the lifespan of the master Plan.
For specific information about any of these projects, contact the Community Planning Section at (626) 744-4009.
Visit Master Plan Development Procedures to learn more about the process.
Existing Master Development Plans
Existing Master Development Plans have been adopted by the City Council.
Annandale Golf Club is a private institution established in 1906. Located at 1 North San Rafael Avenue, the campus includes an 18-hole golf course, two full tennis courts, and banquet facilities. The Master Plan for the Club provides land use regulations and development standards by which new development would be exempt from discretionary review. The golf course was renovated in 2007.
The Art Center is a private college located at 1700 Lida Street. The Art Center moved to the 175-acre, Hillside Campus in 1976. The Art Center offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in a variety of art and design fields. The Master Development Plan allowed the addition of 47,472 square feet (Tyler addition) to the existing academic building (Ellwood “bridge” Building) for a total of 168,000 square feet and expansion of the existing south parking lot by adding 200 subterranean spaces set into the hillside.
The Art Center College of Design South Campus opened at 950 South Raymond Avenue in 2004. The Master Plan site is comprised of two parcels totaling 106,600 square feet. The Master Development Plan allows the addition of up to a 175 unit / 334 bed student housing complex to the existing 93,410 square foot classroom/office building on the South Campus. The student housing would be constructed on top of a three level, underground parking structure accommodating up to 450 cars.
30-year Master Development Plan – Approved April 1989; Amended September 1995, August 1999, & December 2006. California Institute of Technology (Caltech) is private university that offers instruction at both undergraduate and graduate levels and is recognized as a leading research center. Caltech was founded in 1891. Enrollment for 2007-2008 is forecasted at 2,220 students.
Chandler School is private school for children attending kindergarten through eighth grade established in 1958 at 1005 Armada Drive. The school campus is located on the east rim of the Central portion of the Arroyo Seco. An amendment to the school’s Master Plan was approved to allow the expansion and renovation of the middle school facilities at the southern end of the campus. Enrollment will increase to accommodate up to a total of 450 students.
Approved November 20, 2006 (20-year Master Plan) Fuller Theological Seminary, founded in 1947, is a multi-denominational private learning institution that offers 25 different master’s and doctoral degree programs through it’s Schools of Theology, Psychology and Intercultural Studies. Fuller Theological Seminary relocated to the present location which now generally encompasses landholdings in a four-square block area from Corson Street to Union Street and Los Robles Avenue to Madison Avenue.
Ten-year Master Development Plan – Approved June 1993 – Hillsides Home for Children is located at 940 Avenue 64 in the southwestern area of the city between Church Street and the city limit with Los Angeles.
(40-year Master Development Plan) Approved February 1987; Amended September 1994, November 2005 & February 2008 – Huntington Memorial Hospital covers approximately 26 acres of land and has been located at its Congress Street address since 1902. The hospital boundaries are California Boulevard to the north, Fair Oaks Avenue to the east, Bellefontaine to the south and Pasadena Avenue to the west.
Approved December 1985 – The Lake Avenue Congregational Church is located on the northwest corner of Lake Avenue and Corson. The Master Development Plan allowed the construction of a new sanctuary seating 3,000 worshippers , a three-level parking structure to provide approximately 400 parking spaces, a four-story, multi-use Christian Education Building for Sunday School and Recreation/Fellowship Hall, and expansion of the fourth floor of Hutchins Hall to provide additional Christian Education space and expansion of the Administrative space. All of the above proposed projects have been completed.
LAS ENCINAS HOSPITAL 2007 MASTER DEVELOPMENT PLAN Project Address 2900 E. Del Mar Ave. Case Manager Scott Reimers Project Description The 2007 Master Development Plan would continue the programs approved under the current Master Development Plan, namely the provision of additional medical offices, a new psychiatric hospital, and expansion of senior living services. In anticipation… Read More
Approved November 1986; Amended November 2006 – Mayfield Senior School is an existing private school (9th through 12th grade) for girls located in the southwest part of the City of Pasadena. Mayfield Senior School has operated at 500 Bellefontaine Street since 1950. The Master Development Plan (MDP) increases enrollment to 330 students and improves their campus facilities and vehicle circulation. The MDP anticipates the acquisition and demolition of an adjacent single family house (465 Orange Grove Circle) as well as the demolition of the Carriage House.
(20-year Master Development Plan) Approved December 1990; Amended January 2007 – Monte Vista Grove Homes (MVGH) located at 2889 San Pasqual Street is a Christian community dedicated to providing affordable housing to retired Presbyterian ministers, missionaries, Certified Christian Educators, Certified Musician Associates, Commissioned Lay Pastors, and their spouses; and also to providing quality skilled nursing and assisted living accommodations for the elderly, regardless of church affiliation.
(Ten-year Master Development Plan) Approved April 1997 – New Horizons (founded in 1984) is a private school located on a 2.4 acre site at the northwest corner of Orange Grove Boulevard and Cypress Avenue (adjacent to the 210 freeway). The maximum enrollment is 240 students in grade levels from pre-school through eighth grade. The Master Development Plan approved construction of eight classrooms, a library, 360-seat auditorium and offices (25,780 square feet of building area).
(Fifteen-year Master Development Plan) Approved December 1998; Amended October 2001 & March 2009. Pasadena Christian School is a private school with grade levels from pre-school through eighth grade. The school is located south of Howard Street, between Los Robles and Garfield Avenues. The school is approximately 6.9 acres and has been at this location for over 50 years. The maximum enrollment is 688 students.
(Ten-year Master Development Plan) Approved March 1988 – The Pasadena Historical Society is 2.12 acres. The main building is the Fenyes Mansion at 170 N. Orange Grove Boulevard. Also on the site is the Sauna or Finnish Fold Art Museum behind the Fenyes Mansion. Behind the mansion is the Finnish Folk Art Museum; a replica of a Finnish farm house which houses a small collection of folk art from Finland. In 1970, the estate was entrusted to the Pasadena Historical Society. The Fenyes mansion remains intact and furnished with its original furniture.
(Ten-year Master Development Plan) Approved 1992; Amended April 2005 – The Master Development Plan maintains the maximum enrollment at 861 students. The Master Development Plan proposes building envelopes of new building area for the North and South Campuses and athletic fields (20,000 square feet for each campus for a total of 40,000 square feet; 10,000 square feet for the fields) not to exceed 45,000 square feet of net new construction.
Approved 1986. The approximate 18 acre Saint Luke Medical Center, located at 2750 East Washington Boulevard, is bounded by Washington Boulevard on the north and east, Del Rey Avenue on the west and Woodlyn Road on the south.
The Moderne style Saint Luke hospital was constructed in 1933 by the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Orange.
(Ten-year Master Development Plan) Approved July 2005 – St. Philip The Apostle Parish is located between Hill Street and Holliston and Green Street and Cordova Boulevard.
20-year Master Plan approved January 31, 2011. Master Plan originally approved 1986 and amended in 2000. The Valley Hunt Club is a private social club established in the late 1800’s and best known for starting the Tournament of Roses Parade in 1890. The Master Plan allows for additional programming by upgrading and expanding the existing facilities. The project involves construction of a 99-space, subterranean parking garage, a single-story structure, a two-story building, and an accessory office structure.
(Ten-year Master Development Plan) Approved November 1993; Amended in 1998, December 2002, & September 2007 – Westridge School for Girls (grades 4-12) is a private school located at 324 Madeline Drive with a total enrollment of 502 students and 105 employees.
Ten-year Master Development Plan) Approved November 06, 2006. William Carey International University (WCIU) is a 14.81-acre campus located at 1539 East Howard Street. The campus houses a variety of educational and religious uses in eleven buildings (i.e. classrooms, cafeteria, library, dormitories, etc.). The approved Master Development Plan did not propose any new construction on site but rather, documents the various uses taking place on campus.