Short-Term Rental Regulations

Posted on October 18, 2017 in ,

What is a Short-Term Rental?

A short-term rental is a dwelling unit which is shared, in whole or in part, for transient occupancy for periods of up to 30 consecutive days as a way of generating rental income. Ordinance No. 7317 allows hosted and un-hosted short-term rentals, subject to limitations. A Short-Term Rental permit and remittance of transient occupancy tax (TOT) payments on a quarterly basis are required. Vacation rentals and properties where the property owner does not reside for a minimum of nine (9) months out of the year are not permitted to be used for the purpose of short-term renting.

What are the regulations for Short-Term Rentals?

The regulations for short-term rentals is included in this application packet. For the full regulations, please refer to Ordinance 7317 or Section 17.50.296 of the Pasadena Municipal Code. You can also view our informative brochure here.

What is the difference between a Type 1 Permit and a Type 2 Permit?

A Type 1 permit refers to ‘hosted’ short-term rentals where the host remains on-site throughout the guest’s stay (except during daytime and/or work hours). A common example of this is where a host short-term rents a bedroom(s) in their home. The host must be a permanent resident of the property.

A Type 2 permit refers to ‘unhosted’ short-term rentals where one the host is off-site during a guest’s stay. A common example is where the host short-term rents their  residence while they are out of town.

Do I also need to obtain a business license in addition to a Short-Term Rental Permit?

There is no requirement for a business license. Hosts are required to obtain an annual Short-Term Rental permit from the Planning & Community Development Department and to remit TOT on a quarterly basis.


Are vacation rentals allowed?

Vacation rentals are not permitted anywhere within the City. A short-term rental permit is issued only to the primary resident(s) of the property if they reside at the property for a minimum of nine months per calendar year. Proof of primary residency is required.

What is the TOT rate and when do I have to begin collecting it?

The current TOT rate is 12.11%. Hosts are responsible for TOT for all bookings beginning on March 12, 2018. TOT applies to all ‘taxable receipts’. Taxable receipts INCLUDES, but is not limited to, nightly rents, weekly rents, standard cleaning fees, pet fees, internet charges, late check-out fees, extra person fees, and resort fees. Taxable receipts EXCLUDES refundable deposits and any additional items included in a special package rate, such as ski passes, or other recreational activity or additional service subject to CA sales tax.

What information do I need to provide for the quarterly report?

The quarterly report requires you to report the following:

  1. The number of nights short-term rented during the reporting quarter.
  2. The total amount of taxable receipts for short-term rentals during the reporting quarter. See the previous question for a definition of ‘taxable receipts’.

When and how do I remit TOT and my quarterly reports?

TOT remittance and quarterly reports can be submitted via the link below. You will need to have already registered and obtained a Short-Term Rental permit to access the system. Please have your Short-Term Rental permit number ready.

The deadlines for quarterly reports and TOT remittance are:

 Reporting Period Quarterly Report & TOT Due By:
1st Quarter January 1st – March 31st April 20th
2nd Quarter April 1st – June 30th July 20th
3rd Quarter July 1st – September 30th October 20th
4th Quarter October 1st – December 31st January 20th


How do I obtain a Short-Term Rental Permit?

The Short-Term Rental Permit application consists of an online application and the submittal of several supplemental forms. You must complete the supplemental forms prior to initiating the online application.

  • STEP 1:  Download the Supplemental Application forms. You must complete all forms prior to initiating your online application.

  • STEP 2: Complete the supplemental forms. This includes obtaining the notary acknowledgement on the application affidavit, taking photographs of your short-term rental, providing a copy of the Neighborhood Notice to your neighbors, etc.


  • STEP 3: Apply online for your Short-Term Rental Permit via the link below. A $100 permit fee applies*.  You will be provided with a Short-Term Rental Permit number upon approval of your online application.

  • STEP 4: Include your Short-Term Rental Permit number on all listings and remember to remit your Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) and TOT records to the City on a quarterly basis.

* A 3% records management fee and payment processing fees also apply.


Questions on Short-Term Rental Operating Standards

For questions on Short-Term Rental regulations or the permit application process, call (626) 744-6777.


Questions on remittance of Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT)?

For questions on TOT remittance, call (626) 744-4538.


Concerns Regarding a Short-Term Rental Property

Pasadena has established a hotline for reporting illegal short-term rental properties and for reporting noise, parking, trash and other nuisance complaint pertaining to specific short term rental properties. You may call (435) STR-HELP, 24 hours per day, 7 days per week to submit your report. Depending on the nature of the concern and availability of resources, you can expect a response within 1-3 business days.  All requests for service/concerns related to short term rental property violations should be reported through this hotline with the exception of emergencies. In case of an emergency, please call 9-1-1.