Frequently Asked Questions

In order to provide better customer service and accessibility to police services, the following FAQs, answers, web links and other information is provided. If you cannot find the information you need below, please contact us at (626) 744-4501.

Community Q&A


In response to a recent increase in gun-related violence, including a homicide on February 16, 2016, District 3 Councilmember John J. Kennedy devoted the majority of his February 17 District Meeting to the issue of violence in our community.

At his invitation, Councilmember Kennedy was joined by Councilmembers Hampton (District 1) and Councilmember Gordo (District 5) along with Interim City Manager Steve Mermell and Police Chief Phillip Sanchez. Following brief presentations, members of the public were provided an opportunity submit written questions, many of which were responded to that evening. The following questions from that meeting were provided by community members with responses offered by the Pasadena Police Department.

As appropriate, online links and phone numbers to additional sources of information are provided in the answers below. If you have other questions not answered here, please use the following link online to send your comment or question directly to Police Chief Sanchez


In the last meeting at Villa-Parke, Police Chief Sanchez stated that Community Policing was still going on. Foot Patrols are not visible in and around my community like they were when (former) Chief Melekian was here, why?
Regarding Community Policing, why not place mobile substations in problem areas? Can you get federal funds for this?
Is there a way to register security cameras with the police so they have knowledge of cameras that may have valuable footage to solve a crime?
I live on Belvidere and I heard shots last night that sounded like they were came from my backyard, so I simultaneously went online to “Next Door” and called the non-emergency line. I was taken aback by the rude response from the Dispatcher who said to me “If you know what happened why are you calling?” I was calling to report what I heard and to confirm with PPD what had occurred. What do you think of this situation?
If we can budget for more police officers, why not intervention counselors with the Pasadena Police Department to work more on prevention?
Police Chief Sanchez mentioned intervention. What is the City of Pasadena doing to work with real community interventionist?
We have a “problem house” right across the street. It used to be a family home, but now appears to be a rental in what seems to be a revolving door situation with many people living there all at once. This creates a lot of traffic, a lot of outside noise late into the night; and trash in their front yard and parkway. Why are residents allowed to crowd a single-family dwelling and get away with being so disruptive (and trashy)? I think our City’s laws regarding overcrowding are out of date.
In terms of problem properties, why is there not more pressure to complete the fixing up of the Washington Theater on Washington just west of Lake Avenue?
I live on Belvidere and I am a local Realtor specializing in the Landmark Districts. I was raised in Pasadena and came back to raise my girls here. Living in Washington Square for six years I have always felt safe and have “sold” the neighborhood to a number of buyers. But with the recent spree of shootings, I can’t in good faith promote or encourage buyers the way I have in the past and now my children’s safety and my business are all being affected.
Orange Grove Boulevard in front of the Von’s grocery store near Fair Oaks and Lincoln avenues has become a spot for loitering and homeless hang outs. What can be done about this?
Please address the importance of 3rd and 4th grades and dropout rates used by the State of California to plan the building of prisons.
What is the impact of the Super Bowl on domestic violence?
At the last meeting, “A Boots on the Ground” process was mentioned by Mark Sutton. Has/will funds be budgeted to jump start that contract again?
Los gangas regresson en Kings Village. (The gangs have returned to Kings Village)
La Pintoresca and Washington are wonderful parks but not as safe as they should be for our children. Is there an opportunity to increase your presence both as early intervention/relationship building, but also as an effort to make these resources safer during high times of usage on weekends?
Is Washington Park open all night?
El Molino is a troubled street, especially at the corner of Washington and El Molino, where there have been hit-and-run accidents and other criminal activity. How about a one-way traffic only southbound on El Molino, from Woodbury to Washington?
Does the City of Pasadena have a program like, LA’s Gang Reduction Program GRYD Workers or Community Worker?
Don’t you agree that neighbors need to look out for each other?
Does the city have a volunteer police force? If not has that been considered?
Can you address the difference of public tax dollars for police services in 91104 vs. 91105? The attention to any PPD issue in 91105 was immediately corrected with patrol and in 91104 the PD is not present (District 1).
How many gangs (approximately) are known to be in Pasadena? Are there any turf disputes around the Washington Park area that you know of?
Are there any community violence experts that can work with youth in Pasadena? What resources/programs are in place?
My wife, child and I moved into Washington Square 6 months ago. Last night someone was shot and killed in our neighborhood. Realistically, how much gang violence can we expect in our neighborhood? And what is being done about it?
Can we emulate what the City Attorney’s office in Los Angeles is doing in forcing landlords to sell problem properties that have a history of gang violence?
I assume that the recent shootings are gang–related. What outreach has been done to reduce violence in Pasadena? Are there specific ways that residents can help to outreach to gangs?
Tonight we discussed community involvement. I heard concerns about Washington Park, La Pintoresca Park and Villa Park. Are these the only problem areas? What is being done at other parks that can be shared to promote a more wholesome environment at Washington Park, Villa Parke and la Pintoresca Park?
In the city of Pasadena a there are resources in individuals, groups, associations, etc. What actions are being put in place to bring those resources together to develop and support action plans for resolutions of some of the problems?

Please encourage everyone to volunteer at a local Northwest Community elementary school! Please have the Police Department work with, and get to know, the young people in our community. They could be the person that helps other youth say no to crime.

There are many opportunities for people to volunteer and enhance their community. It is through such activities that we create a safe and caring environment for our children and reduce the threat of crime and violence.



Complaints and Use of Force

In order to provide better customer service and accessibility to police services, the following FAQs, answers, web links and other information is provided.  If you cannot find the information you need below, please contact us at (626) 744-4501.

What Is A Personnel Complaint?

How Do I Make A Personnel Complaint?

What Happens To My Personnel Complaint?

Community Mediation Program

The Community Mediation Program’s is an alternative to the traditional complaint process by providing an opportunity to resolve disputes and concerns between complainants and Pasadena Police Department employees through mediation, facilitated by the Western Justice Center Foundation, 55 S. Grand Avenue, Pasadena, CA.

The setting is an informal, non-disciplinary, and non-adversarial process agreed to in advance by involved parties and it can address complaints involving procedures, service, courtesy concerns, and police tactics. Complaints regarding use of force, illegal arrests, discriminatory slurs, and alleged criminal conduct by a member are generally inappropriate for mediation.

The mediation is voluntary and intended to foster constructive communication between the complainant and the Police Department with the assistance of a trained neutral party mediator. The Program’s objectives are to increase the satisfaction of community and Department members in the resolution of public complaints. The open communication fosters greater understanding on both sides in a neutral setting designed to identify problem-solving solutions.

Interested complainants can utilize the Community Mediation Program by contacting the Administrative Services Section Lieutenant (626-744-6724) to determine eligibility and arrange for Dispute Resolution Services (DRS). The DRS Representative will contact the complainant to verify participation and coordinate the meeting with Police Department employees. At the conclusion of the mediation sessions, and with the agreement of all involved parties, the initially complaint would be withdrawn as resolved through mediation.

When Is It Proper For A Police Officer To Use Force?

What Happens Following An Officer-Involved Shooting (OIS)?

How does the Pasadena Police Department review and oversee uses of force by its employees?


Jail & Property

Jail and Property Information

In order to provide better customer service and accessibility to police services, the following FAQs, answers, web links and other information is provided.  If you cannot find the information you need below, please contact us at (626) 744-4501.

How Do I Contact Or Get Bail Information On Someone Who Is In PPD Custody?

Learn how. Jail calls can be placed at (626) 744-4616 anytime.

How Do I Get Information On Someone In Custody In The County Jail?

Click on the following link: OR call 213-473-6080

How Do I Get Information On Property In PPD Custody?

Contact the Property Management Section at (626) 744-4510 for information regarding policies and procedures for retrieving property held by the Department.

The Property Management Section’s public window hours for the return of property are 12 p.m. to 5 p.m., Tuesday through Thursday only.  They are closed for all major holidays.

It is important to call before arriving to expedite the process. Identification required.

What Forms Of Identification Are Acceptable To Pick Up Property?

Any government-issued photo ID (foreign or domestic) is acceptable.

If I’m Unable To Pick Up My Property, Can I Send Someone To Pick It Up?

In certain situations, someone else other than the owner may pick up items if prior arrangements have been made. Call the Property Management Section at (626) 744-4510 for further information.


Nuisance Violations

In order to provide better customer service and accessibility to police services, the following FAQs, answers, web links and other information is provided.  If you cannot find the information you need below, please contact us at (626) 744-4501.

Are There Noise Laws Or Restrictions In Pasadena? 

Yes.  Pasadena Municipal Code (PMC) 9.36 addresses property noise violations and prohibits unnecessary, excessive and annoying noises from all sources.

It is unlawful for any person to create, cause, or permit to be made, or continue any noise or sound which exceeds the ambient noise level at the property line by more than 5 decibels.  If excessively loud noise of any kind is disturbing your peace, contact the Department at (626) 744-4241 and an officer will be dispatched to investigate.  If the noise from your neighbor persists and the officer is called back, you may be asked to file a formal complaint against the offending neighbor.

Permits and business licenses for amplified sound may be issued by the City with specific compliance criteria, including the days and hours of operation(s), location and type of amplification.

If a loud car alarm persists for more than 45 minutes and the owner cannot be located, the vehicle may be impounded under state motor vehicle law CVC 22651.5.  In addition, CVC 27007 restricts allowable noise from a vehicle on public property to 50 feet.  Operators may be cited and the amplified equipment can be seized as evidence. Contact the Department at (626) 744-4241 for assistance.

Construction-related noise is only permitted between the hours of 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday per PMC Section 9.36.070. 

What Can I Do About My Neighbor’s Barking Dog?

If there is excessively loud or prolonged barking of a dog that is disturbing your peace, and your neighbor refuses to take corrective action, contact the Pasadena Humane Society at (626) 792-7151 and an Animal Control Officer will be dispatched to investigate and hopefully resolve the situation.

For more information about dog licensing, animal shelter and care issues, visit the Pasadena Humane Society website at

If the noise from your neighbor’s dog persists, you can make a complaint with the City Code Enforcement Section by calling (626) 744-4633 about your neighbor maintaining a nuisance animal.  PMC6.18.040 empowers the Code Enforcement Commission to conduct a hearing to determine whether or not the situation involves a public nuisance dog.

Does The City Of Pasadena Have Curfew Laws? 

Yes. PMC 9.68 provides that minors (under age 18) cannot be present in or upon any public or private street, road, drive, alley, or trail; any public or community park or recreation area; any public ground, place, or building; or any vacant lot or abandoned or vacant building between the hours of 10 p.m. and the time of sunrise of the following day, except in the following situations:

1. Accompanied by a custodial person or by the minor’s spouse who must be over 18

2. On an errand directed by, and in possession of a written excuse from, a custodial person or   spouse over 18 years of age

3. Engaged in or going directly to or returning directly from a school-approved activity

4. Engaged in a lawful employment activity or in a place in connection with or as required by a business, trade, profession, or occupation in which the minor is lawfully engaged, or going directly to or returning directly from such activity

5. Engaged in or going directly to or returning directly from any other lawful activity with written permission from a custodial person or spouse over the age of 18

6. Involved in an emergency or seeking medical assistance

7. Exercising rights protected by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution or Article 1 of the California Constitution, including but not limited to: free exercise of religion, freedom of speech and freedom of assembly

8. In the right-of-way abutting the minor’s residence

9. In a motor vehicle involved in interstate travel

10. Emancipated pursuant to State law and California Family Code Section 7000, et seq.

How Can I Report Prostitution, Narcotics Or Gang Activity In My Neighborhood?

If you observe a non-violent prostitution, narcotics or gang activity in progress, call the Department at (626) 744-4241 and advice the police dispatcher who answers your call. An officer will be dispatched to investigate and take appropriate action.

If the problems of prostitution, narcotics or gang activity are in your neighborhood, but not in progress, please contact:

Vice/Narcotics: 1-800-222-8477 or e-mail concern at

Special Enforcement and Gang Unit: (626) 744-4585

Neighborhood Services Unit: (626) 744-4505

How Can I Report Wild Animals Running Loose In My Neighborhood?

Call 911 immediately if the animal is posing a threat to life or property. Otherwise, call the Department at (626) 744-4241 and advise the police dispatcher.  An officer may be dispatched to monitor the situation and call in additional resources as necessary.

How Do I Apply For And Obtain A Permit To Carry A Firearm?

The Chief of Police is given the statutory discretion to issue a license to carry a firearm to residents within the community, Penal Code § 26150; Penal Code 26155.  The Department will fairly and impartially consider all applications to carry firearms in accordance with applicable law and Department policy.  Contact the Police Department’s Administrative Services Section at (626)744-4574 to discuss the process for obtaining a permit.

Requesting Services

Requesting Police Services

In order to provide better customer service and accessibility to police services, the following FAQs, answers, web links and other information is provided.  If you cannot find the information you need below, please contact us at (626) 744-4501.What Are The Business Hours Of The Police Department?

The Pasadena Police Department operates 24 hours a day. The Records Section, the Front Lobby and the Property Management are available to the public on a walk-in basis at our headquarters, 207 N. Garfield Avenue.

The Records Section is open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., Monday through Friday, and on weekends from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

The Property Management Section’s public window hours for the return of property are 12 p.m. to 5 p.m., Tuesday through Thursday only.

The Front Lobby is staffed by our volunteers, and is generally open from 10 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.  The public counters are closed for all major holidays.

When Should I Use 911?

Call 911 for any life-threatening or emergency situations when immediate police or fire response is necessary to save lives, protect property or apprehend suspects.  Calls for medical emergencies, fires, crimes in progress, imminent crimes and serious auto accidents should also be made to 911.

Non-emergency incidents, minor complaints or situations that require a police response, but are not life-threatening, should be made to the Department’s Communications Center at (626) 744-4241.

Should I Call Police About Suspicious Activity?

Yes.  If you see something suspicious, say something and call us.  Our experienced phone operators will help determine if a police response is needed.  Please be prepared to provide us with as much detailed information as possible about the suspicious activity.

Report a Crime

When I Call The Police, What Information Should I Have Ready To Give Them?

Our call takers are trained to know that when citizen call us, many of these calls are made during times of emergencies, traumatic situations or other highly emotion events.  In order for us to help you as quickly as possible, it is important for you, the caller, to remain calm, speak slowly and clearly, and be prepared to provide us with as much detail as possible.  Examples of what we will want to know are:

  • Why you are calling and what do you want to report?
  • Are you reporting something that already happened & when it occurred, or is it an incident  happening right now?
  • Your name and phone number (although anonymous calls are accepted).
  • Your location and the specific location of the incident you are calling about.
  • Injuries, number of injuries and type(s) of injuries
  • Are any weapons involved?
  • How many people are involved?
  • Detailed descriptions of people involved, including gender, race, hair color, eye color, height, weight, scars/tattoos, especially clothing.
  • Describe any vehicles involved, including license plate, color, make, model, year
  • Direction of travel for anyone leaving the scene on foot or in a vehicle?
  • Any animals involved?

If I Call For A Police Response, How Soon Can I Expect Them To Arrive?

Response times vary depending on the priority of the call, with life-threatening situations being the highest priority and property crimes with no immediate public safety issues being lower in priority.  The average response time for high-priority crimes is approximately 5 minutes.

How Are Calls For Police Service Prioritized?

Priority One: Caller indicates a situation is in-progress, where personal safety is at risk, including armed crimes, assaults, major injury auto crash, missing child or missing person with health or mental issues.

Priority Two: Calls indicating property at immediate risk, and/or the chance of apprehending a suspect is high, also missing person calls.

Priority Three: Calls involving all other active incidents.

Priority Four: Calls about a previous incident requiring an officer for a report.

Priority Five: Calls that a civilian employee may handle.

Where Do I Find Crime Statistics For The City Of Pasadena?

Statistical information is available at the following link:

How Many Police Officers Does The City Of Pasadena Employ?

The Pasadena Police Department employs approximately 240 sworn peace officers and 168 civilian employees.

How Can I Commend A Pasadena Police Department Employee?

There are several ways, including:

Send the Chief of Police a letter to 207 N. Garfield Ave., Pasadena, CA 91101.

Come to the Department’s Records Section during the stated business hours to fill out a “Positive Contact” form or to speak with the employee’s supervisor.

Send an email the Chief of Police, or one of the Command Staff

Call us at (626) 744-4241.

Can A Police Department Speaker Be Requested For A Local Group Meeting Or Event?

Yes.  Call Community Services Section at (626) 744-4551.

Can A Civic Or Youth Group Tour The Pasadena Police Station?

Yes.  Call Community Services Section at (626) 744-4551.

Can The Pasadena Police Department Do A Vacation Check On Our House?

Yes.  Call us at (626) 744-4241.  The extra service request will be conducted based on the availability of officers and calls for service.

What Is The Difference Between A Police Officer, Highway Patrol Officer And A Sheriff’s Deputy?

Police Officers, California Highway Patrol Officers (CHP) and Sheriff’s Deputies are all California Peace Officers and have statewide police powers.  Police Officers work for their respective City.  Sheriff’s Deputies usually work for the County and the CHP works for the State of California. Police Officers usually oversee law enforcement duties within their city limits; the CHP oversees state highways, freeways and county roads outside city boundaries and Sheriff’s deputies provide law enforcement for the unincorporated areas of a county and for cities that contract for their services.  During emergencies, activation of mutual aid requests, and for crimes in progress observed by an outside jurisdiction, any “peace officer” regardless of customary jurisdiction, has the ability to exercise law enforcement powers.

What Is Racial Profiling?

Racial profiling is defined as the use of specific characteristics or behavior patterns to determine whether a person may be engaged in illegal activity.  Peace officers are prohibited from detaining persons based solely on their race.  All officers in the Pasadena Police Department receive on-going training that encompasses laws related to racial profiling and the detrimental effects of race-based profiling on individuals, the community and the potential for discriminatory behavior.

How Do I Retrieve Items Stored In The Department’s Property Room?

The Pasadena Police Department’s Property Management Section’s public window hours for the return of property are 12 p.m. to 5 p.m., Tuesday through Thursday only. Money is released by appointment ONLY during the public window hours. Please call (626) 744-4618 to make an appointment for the return of money.

Learn more about the Property Management Section.

Traffic & Parking

Traffic and Parking Concerns

In order to provide better customer service and accessibility to police services, the following FAQs, answers, web links and other information is provided. If you cannot find the information you need below, please contact us at (626) 744-4501.What Happens If I Refuse To Sign A Traffic Ticket I Disagree With?

Signing a citation is your promise to appear in court for a suspected violation. Your signature is not an admission of guilt. Guilt is determined in the court and only a judge can levy punishments.

If you refuse to sign a citation, an officer must arrest you and bring you directly before the magistrate/judge having jurisdiction during court operating hours. This may involve being held in custody overnight or during the weekend until court is next in session.

How Do I Contest A Parking Citation?

There are three levels that may be involved in contesting a parking ticket issued in the City of Pasadena. The three levels are detailed within the California Vehicle Code for providing citizens with an opportunity to contest parking tickets that were issued to their vehicles.

In Pasadena, parking enforcement is commonly administered by the City of Pasadena Transportation Department, Parking Citation Section. Click on the following link for more information:

How do I get a citation signed off for proof of correction?

The Sheriff’s Department has personnel assigned specifically for this task at the Pasadena Courthouse, 300 W. Walnut Street. Parking for this service is marked at the front curb.

Who Do I Call If I See An Abandoned Vehicle Or One That Hasn’t Moved For 72 Hours?

No person shall park or leave standing within the City any vehicle for 72 or more consecutive hours upon any highway, street, alley or City property. If that time allotment has been exceeded, any law enforcement officer is authorized to remove or cause the removal of any vehicle. Call the Department at (626) 744-4241. An officer will respond to investigate and impound the vehicle if necessary.

How Long Can A Vehicle Park On The Street Without Movement Before Being Issued A Citation?

Parking on Pasadena streets is regulated by street signage. In areas where there are no signs, vehicles may park between the hours of 6 a.m. to 2 a.m. Parking vehicles on the street from 2 a.m. to 6 a.m. requires an Overnight Parking Permit available from the City’s Department of Transportation. Please visit for more information.

How Can I Get A Permit For Overnight Parking In Our City?

Overnight parking permits are sold via vending machines. There is a machine located in front of the Department, 207 N. Garfield Ave. For more information visit:


What Are Impound Fees Going To Cost?

Vehicle Release Fees:

  • Abandoned/Abated/30 day – $170
  • Impound (Non-Victim) – $150
  • Impound associated with arrest/30 Day – $200
  • Impound associated with w/DUI arrest – $150
  • Impound associated with prostitution – $150

Why Did The Police Impound My Car?

  • No person shall park or leave standing within the city any vehicle for a period of 72 or more consecutive hours upon any highway, street, alley or city property. Having done so, any law enforcement officer is authorized to remove or cause the removal of any vehicle so parked or left standing in violation of this section.
  • Vehicles may be subject to impound for evidentiary purposes if it is believed the vehicle was used in the commission of a crime. Additionally, when a vehicle is recovered, after being stolen, and attempts to contact the registered owner were unsuccessful.
  • The driver was arrested and taken forthwith or the driver was determined to be incapacitated.
  • The vehicle obstructs, blocks, unattended or creates a hazard as described in CVC 22651.
  • When a vehicle is determined to have an expired registration of more than 6 months, or there is an excessive amount of unpaid parking citations, the vehicle is subject to impound.
  • All vehicles are subject to impound for 30 days if the driver of the vehicle is found to be driving the vehicle while unlicensed or his or her driving privileges were suspended or revoked. The registered or legal owner is entitled to a storage hearing to determine the validity of, or to consider any mitigating circumstances, attendant to the storage. The validity of a second party’s possession of the vehicle and their license status is the responsibility of the vehicle owner.

How Do I Get My Car Out Of Impound?

If the vehicle is being held as evidence, contact the Pasadena Police Records Section to receive a vehicle release form:

Pasadena Police Department – Records Section
207 N. Garfield Ave, Pasadena, CA 91101
(626) 744-4565

All registration fees must be current, with no outstanding parking citations. All other fee’s paid and/or restrictions must be corrected prior to the granting of a vehicle release.

For 30 day holds on vehicles due to improperly licensed drivers, the registered or legal owner must request a hearing from a Traffic Supervisor at (626) 744-4590 for consideration of any early release.

How Do I Report Damages Or Dispute An Impound?

It is protocol that a vehicle inventory is performed and documented by police personnel prior to the removal of a vehicle by the responding tow agency. Should damages occur or property is discovered missing the impounding agency should be contacted and a claim may be submitted with the city Claims Department, 100 N. Garfield Ave, Pasadena, Ca. 91101, (626) 744-4124. To dispute an impound the respective agency should be notified:

Pasadena Police Department Records Section (626) 744-4565 or Pasadena Parking Enforcement (626) 744-6470

Can I Retrieve Possessions From My Impounded Vehicle?

Yes. First it is necessary to notify the Pasadena Records Section (626) 744-4565 and seek approval from the investigating department (i.e. Detectives, Traffic). Under no circumstances will you be able to remove anything physically connected to the vehicle (i.e. bolted, screwed, snapped into place or otherwise attached).

Victims of Crimes

Victims of Crimes

In order to provide better customer service and accessibility to police services, the following FAQs, answers, web links and other information is provided.  If you cannot find the information you need below, please contact us at (626) 744-4501.

What Is Domestic Violence?

Domestic Violence crosses over several state statutes and can be perpetrated in several different ways other than a simple assault.  To qualify as a Domestic Violence crime, the victim must be related to the abuser (regardless of sexual orientation) in one of the following ways: spouse or former spouse; co-habitant (living together as a couple) or former co-habitant; have or had a child together; and is, or has been, in a dating relationship.

What If I Am A Victim Of Domestic Violence?

Immediately call 911 if you have been intentionally injured, or you are in imminent danger of being assaulted by someone you are in a relationship with, or had a past relationship.   Officers will respond quickly and facilitate you receiving medical attention as necessary.  Our officers can help with confidential, transitional housing and an emergency protection order.

If there is no immediate, life-threatening danger, and you believe it is safe to do so, call us at (626) 744-4241 to report the domestic violence incident.  An officer will be dispatched to investigate the situation.

The Pasadena Police Department has access to numerous resources to help victims, or potential victims, of domestic violence.  Call (626) 744-4241 and ask for the Youth and Family Services Unit, normally staffed from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays.  Patrol officers can also provide referrals to local domestic violence advocates and resources.

What Is Child Abuse?

Child abuse is defined as any offense, or attempted offense, involving violence or neglect with a child victim (any person under the age of 18) committed by a person responsible for the child’s care or any other act that would mandate notification to law enforcement or social service agency.

What Do I Do If I See Or Suspect A Child Is Being Abused By An Adult?

Call 911 immediately if the child has been injured, or is in imminent danger of injury.  An officer will respond.   A law enforcement entity should be the first agency notified on all child abuse matters.  If you wish to remain anonymous regarding your reporting of suspected child abuse or neglect, contact the Department at (626) 744-4241.  It is important to the child’s health and well-being that suspected incidents of child abuse be reported as quickly as possible to provide protection, intervention and family services.

If you suspect a child may be living in a neglectful or abusive situation and don’t want to report to a law enforcement agency, you can also call the Department of Children and Family Services (DCSF),  Child Protection Hotline at 1-800-540-4000.

What Is Elder Abuse?

Elder abuse is defined as any offense, or attempted offense, involving violence, neglect or financial crimes (theft) against a person over the age of 65 that is committed by a caregiver.

What Do I Do If I See Or Suspect Elder Abuse?

Call 911 immediately if the elderly person has been injured, or is in imminent danger of being injury. An officer will respond.  If you suspect an elderly person living in the City of Pasadena may be living in a neglectful or abusive situation, including a long-term care facility, you may report the abuse to the Los Angeles County Adult Protective Services (APS) Hotline at 1-800-540-4000, or 1-213-639-4500.

What Happens To A Person Once They Are Arrested?

Detained persons are legally subjected to handcuffing.  If a person is arrested for a misdemeanor crime, they may be “cited and released” at the scene—issued a citation to appear in court at a later date. It is possible that they could be booked in the jail due to no valid identification; the likelihood that they will continue to engage in illegal activity; further investigation is needed at the scene or at the station, or the incident involves domestic violence.

If a person commits a serious crime and it is determined they will be booked at jail, they are handcuffed before being transported to the Pasadena City Jail.  In the jail, the suspect is processed for booking, searched, photographed, fingerprinted, and a computer database check is performed to verify the suspect’s identity and status of any outstanding warrants.

Bail is set, and unless it is paid, the person will remain in custody until his/her court appearance, usually within 72 business hours.  The arraignment judge will determine any further bail amounts and if the suspect is to be released or kept in custody.

What Is A Citizen’s Arrest?

State law allows you the right to arrest another person for a criminal act committed in your presence.  The Department recommends that unless it is absolutely necessary, you should avoid taking the direct action of a citizen’s arrest and instead call police in order to avoid a physical confrontation with the suspect(s) and possible injuries.  In some specific situations, you may have no alternative but to make a citizen’s arrest.  In that case, be sure to call the Department as soon as possible, fully informing us of the circumstances.  You must also sign a private person’s arrest form that the Department will provide.  The responding officer will take custody of the arrested person and proceed as legally appropriate.  You may be required to testify in court regarding your observations and actions.

Often Misunderstood Terminology: (1) Burglary Vs. Robbery; (2) Trespassing Vs. Loitering; (3) Terrorist Threats; And (4) Assault Vs. Battery

1. Burglary vs. Robbery

These two theft crimes are often used interchangeable but they are very different.  A person who breaks into an unoccupied home, business or locked car with the intention to commit theft has committed burglary.  A person who takes property from another person by force (like a purse snatch) or fear (threats or use of a weapon) has committed a robbery.

2. Trespassing vs. Loitering

Trespassing occurs when a person enters, or remains on, private property which has properly posted signs prohibiting entry or after having been directed to vacate the property by a responsible party. Loitering involves remaining in a public place without legal business.

3. Terrorist Threats

Terrorist Threats are very specific felony crimes involving a threat of death or great injury from a person capable of committing said threat.  This crime is often confused with people who provoke a fight or make threatening phone calls, which are lower level crimes of a different classification.

4. Assault vs. Battery

An assault is generally a felony crime involving serious injury or by use of an instrument that may cause serious injury.  A battery is usually a misdemeanor and involves minor or no injury.  Several factors play into the appropriate classification and ultimate criminal filing including: severity of the crime; whether the person actually struck the other person or solely attempted to; use of a weapon and severity of the injury or injuries inflicted.

To obtain additional details regarding Penal Code sections, click this link.