Pasadena Water and Power is committed to the adoption of electric vehicles by offering incentives to customers who drive plug-in electric vehicles and install charging stations at their homes and businesses. PWP is also expanding the charging infrastructure by installing chargers at public parking structures throughout the city.
Why Choose an Electric Vehicle?
More and more people are choosing electric vehicles over gas-powered cars and trucks to reduce pollution, conserve energy, save money and reduce their carbon footprint. And, more and more auto companies are shifting their focus to EVs.
- No Tailpipe Emissions: Electric vehicles have a smaller environmental impact than conventional vehicles. With PWP’s commitment to sustainability, currently 35% of Pasadena’s power comes from renewable sources, and will increase to 50% by 2030, meaning the electricity you use to power your vehicle will be cleaner every year. And to be even more green, choose PWP’s Green Power Program to power your home or business from 100% renewable sources, producing no emissions at all.
- Home Recharging: Electric cars can be conveniently charged in garages or driveways while they’re parked overnight using existing outlets. Installing a charging station at home will charge the vehicle even faster.
- Cheaper to Operate: Given the considerable efficiency of electric cars compared to internal combustion engine models, the cost to fuel an EV is approximately one-third to one-half the cost of gasoline (on a cost-per-mile basis).
- Quiet and Quick: An electric car is very quiet and very smooth. EVs are built with high torque (axle-twisting power) allowing full acceleration in just a few seconds.
Incentives for Electric Vehicles
PWP Electric Vehicle and Charger Incentives for Residential Electric Customers: Customers can receive a rebate up to $250 when they purchase or lease a new or used plug-in electric vehicle (EV). Customers can receive an additional $250 bonus rebate if they purchase or lease an EV from a Pasadena auto dealer. An additional $250 is available for customers currently participating in PWP’s income-qualifying programs. Additional rebate bonus incentives eligible for plug-in electric vehicles purchased/leased on or after August 1, 2018. Plug-in electric vehicles purchased/leased before August 1, 2018 are eligible for the $200 incentive only.
Additionally, customers can receive a $600 rebate when they install a qualifying “Wi-Fi enabled” EV charger, or a $200 rebate when they install a standard (Non Wi-Fi) EV charger in their home. Residential charger incentive rates listed above are as of August 1st, 2018. Level 2 (240V) EV charging stations purchased prior to August 1st, 2018 are eligible for a $400 rebate.
PWP EV Charging Station Incentive for Commercial Electric Customers: Customers can receive a $3,000 rebate for installing a smart EV charger in a business. Double the commercial EV charger rebate, or $6,000, for businesses who install the smart EV charger at publicly accessible locations.
A Federal Tax Credit of up to $7,500 per vehicle is available for the first 200,000 PEVs from each automaker.
Administered by the Center for Sustainable Energy for the California Air Resources Board (CARB), the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP) provides monetary rebates of up to $2,500 for the purchase or lease of new electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles
Low Income Customers: Receive up to $4,500 from CVRP if you are an eligible low-income customer. An additional $9,500 rebate is available to qualifying low income customers through the Replace Your Ride program. To learn more, visit the Replace Your Ride.
Carpool Lane Sticker: Qualifying PEV and Plug-In Hybrid EV owners are eligible to ride in the high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lane by obtaining a Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) sticker. A limited number of “Green Stickers” are available for plug in hybrids, and an unlimited number of “White Stickers” are available for electric-only vehicles.
Ride for Free in Toll Lanes: Vehicles displaying a DMV-issued white or green CAV sticker may be able to use ExpressLanes toll-free with a switchable FasTrak Flex on the “3+ person carpool” setting.
Download this comprehensive list of all the incentives here:
Medium and Heavy-Duty Vehicles
The Hybrid and Zero-Emission Truck and Bus Voucher Incentive Project is a simplified incentive program that helps ALL fleets buy hybrid and battery-electric trucks and buses.
Want more information? Visit the links below, and in the sidebar, for more resources to help you choose the perfect vehicle.
- Consumer Guide to EVs – Electric Power Research Institute
- Compare EVs by Features – Plug-In Cars
- A Comprehensive List of All Plug-In Vehicles – Plug-In America
- Electric Cars 101 – Consumer Reports