PWP Incentives for Electric Vehicle Owners
Electric Vehicle Incentive: To offset higher electric bills due to charging EVs at home, Pasadena Water and Power offers $200 worth of LED lighting when you purchase or lease an Electric Vehicle. Replacing inefficient lighting with LEDs is a fast and easy way to save energy at home.
Notify PWP about your EV lease or purchase by submitting the EV Incentive Request Form.
You will then receive up to $200 to replace existing lights at the address where the vehicle is being charged from PWP’s online store.
EV Charger Incentives: PWP also offers incentives for customers who install a Level 2 (240V) “wall mounted” or “hardwired” charging station at home, multi-unit complex, or business. A charging station allows for fast-charging of an EV and enables the car to charge during off-peak hours, when electrical demand is lower.
PWP will provide a rebate of up to $400 to residential customers and $600 to commercial customers who purchase and install a qualifying EV charging station. Portable 240V charging stations may also qualify for this incentive.
Complete the following within 90 days from final completion of the charger installation (Inspection Sign-off Date):
- Read the Program Requirements outlined below.
- Complete the EV Incentive Request Form
- Submit a copy of CA DMV Registration or Sales/Lease contract of your EV
- Submit a copy of the Building/Electrical Inspection Sign-off that is provided by the Building Inspector after the charging station has been installed and inspected
- Submit an itemized receipt or sales invoice that includes purchase date, retailer name, business address, phone number, and itemized description of EV charging station including manufacturer and product make and model numbers
Email documents to: email@example.com
Other Incentives for Electric Vehicles
Federal tax incentives of up to $7,500 through the IRS Plug-In Electric Drive Vehicle Credit (IRC 30D).
State Rebates of up to $4,500 through the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project, funded by the California Air Resources Board and administered by the California Center for Sustainable Energy (CCSE).
Carpool Lane Sticker Qualifying PEV and Plug-In Hybrid EV owners are eligible to ride in the high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lane by obtaining a Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) sticker. A limited number of “Green Stickers” are available for plug in hybrids, and an unlimited number of “White Stickers” are available for electric-only vehicles. Apply through the California DMV.
Charge Station Subsidy available to commercial sites on a case-by-case basis by The EV Project. Call the EV Project for details at 1.888.998.2546 or visit the EV Project online.
• Applicant must have an active PWP electric account.
• Plug-in Electric Vehicle must be registered at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in California.
• The program participant must be the legal owner of PEV and permanently resides at the address shown in the PWP electric account. Additional documents may be required to establish residency requirement if the register owner/lessor is not listed in the electric account.
• All electrical work must be performed by a qualified and licensed contractor in accordance with local codes, permitting, and inspection requirements.
• PEV must be approved for highway application. (Electric scooters, electric bicycles, golf carts, neighborhood and low-speed vehicles are not eligible.)
• Level 2 (240V) EV Charger must be a new unit purchased after June 1, 2014. Resale units, leased, rented, rebuilt, received from warranty insurance claims, won as a prize do not qualify.
• Level 2 Charger must be equipped with the SAE J1772 standard connector plug and UL listed. (Certified by Underwriters Laboratories Inc.)
• Rebates for vehicles that require a factory installed, higher capacity charging system than Level 2 may be considered for participating in the program on a case-by-case basis and will be determined at the sole discretion of PWP.
• Level 2 Charger must be permanently hardwired to the electrical service.
• Portable 240V charging stations may qualify.
• A 240V outlet (existing or new installation) is NOT eligible.
• The EV charger is to remain in service at the address specified on the EV Charging Station Incentive Request Form for a minimum of one (1) year or until PWP electrical service account is closed. Total or partial rebate received under this program must be returned to PWP if this provision is not met.
• If Level 2 Charger is installed in a multi-family complex, the applicant must provide written permission from the property manager/owner/homeowners association to install the charger.
• PWP may utilize data generated by the use of the EV Charger to improve PWP services, conduct studies, and any other purposed in furtherance of PWP’s operations.
• Program participants may be asked to participate in PWP’s demand response program during events or conditions where the electric load to the distribution system needs to be curtailed.
• Residential customers currently enrolled, or have participated in the past, in PWP’s Experimental Time-Of-Use (TOU) rate are not eligible for this program.
• EV Charging Station rebate will be based upon actual cost of the charger, minus any other charger incentives or rebates received from other parties or agencies. The rebate amount shall not exceed the costs of the equipment.
• Incentive is limited to one (1) rebate for the life of the vehicle.
• Incentive is limited to one (1) incentive for a residential service and four (4) for commercial service.
• Pasadena Water and Power, at its own discretion, may conduct on-site inspection to verify information provided in the PEV Charging Station Incentive Request Form.