Greywater is water from showers, bath tubs, washing machines, and bathroom sinks. Using greywater is an innovative way to reduce potable water use and flows to the sewer system. It provides for an efficient means to irrigate plants in your landscape, and provides natural groundwater recharge.
There are three types of greywater systems - Laundry-to-Landscape (L2L), Simple, and Complex greywater systems.
Laundry to Landscape
PWP offers an L2L Greywater Program due to their simplicity, affordability, and easy maintenance. L2L systems are the only type of greywater system that does not need a permit to be installed.
Watch this video to view testimonials from PWP customers who have successfully installed an L2L system in their home
Simple Greywater Systems
Simple greywater systems exceed a Laundry-to-Landscape greywater system and have a discharge capacity of 250 gallons per day or less. Simple greywater systems collect water from bathtubs, showers, and bathroom washbasins for irrigation purposes. Simple greywater systems do not include wastewater from toilets, kitchen sinks or dishwashers. Simple greywater systems require a permit, design and inspection by the City of Pasadena Planning and Community Development Department, because construction and installation of simple greywater systems require cutting of the existing plumbing piping. PWP designed a streamlined permit process
and a rebate for permit fees to ease the participation in Simple Greywater Program.
Getting Started with a Simple Greywater System
Step 1: Complete the Greywater Standard Plan application package
- Download the Greywater Standard Plan application package
- Complete the application package and submit all the pages of the application package to firstname.lastname@example.org for initial review prior to obtaining a permit. PWP will review the application package for completeness, and you will be notified if the application needs any additional information.
Step 2: Obtain Permit
- After PWP reviews the application for completeness, you are ready to submit the application to the Planning and Community Development Department to obtain a permit before installing the greywater system. The Permit Center is located at 175 N. Garfield Ave in Pasadena, Monday-Thursday 8am to 5pm, and Friday 8am to 12pm. You can submit your application package in person at the permit counter. For more information visit the Permit Center site or call 626.744.6646.
Step 3: Install the System and Schedule a Post Inspection
- Once you have received your permit you are ready to install the system. Contact the Building and Safety Department at (626)744-4655 to schedule a post inspection. The inspectors will verify that the system conforms to building codes.
Step 4: Request the Rebate for the Permit Fees
- Submit the copy of the building final inspection sign-off to email@example.com
- You will receive a rebate of up to $200 for your permit fees
Additional Assistance for Low Income Customers
Low Income Customers are eligible for a no-cost L2L Greywater System Installation through Under One Roof. To participate complete a Direct Install Greywater Application and email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact us to verify your eligibility.