Scammers disguising themselves as PWP employees are attempting to extort money from commercial and residential customers, threatening to shut off service unless a payment is made immediately over the phone.
Customers have reported the following fraud attempts:
- A scammer is using spoofing technology to make a PWP number, 626.744.3739, appear on customers’ Caller ID
- A scammer is using spoofing technology to make PWP’s Customer Service number, 626.744.4005, appear on customers’ Caller ID
- A scammer is calling customers and using 855.613.8173 as their call-back number
Customers with delinquent accounts will receive a “Final Notice” and “Disconnect Notice” from PWP by U.S. Mail notifying them of their account status. These notices will include a final due date for payment before services are eligible for disconnection. PWP does not notify customers of their account status by phone.
PWP will NOT do the following:
- Demand payment over the phone to settle past due charges
- Instruct you to obtain prepaid gift cards or conduct wire transfers
- Arrange to meet with you in-person to obtain payment
PWP accepts the following payment options:
- In person at windows 7, 8 and 9 located in City of Pasadena Municipal Services Payment Center
- On the PWP website through the secure Self Service online payment option
- By mail with a check, cashier’s check or money order
- Automatic debit payments through our Direct Debit program
- Through the Self Service automated phone system
If you are instructed to pay outside of the payment options listed above, it is a scam. If you have any concerns about your account, please call PWP at 626.744.4005.
The best way to avoid potential scams is by learning how to tell the difference between PWP employees and scammers. Visit our Fraud Protection page for information on how to spot a scam and what to do if you’re a victim.