Ongoing conservation is essential. Please do your part to conserve and water your landscape only as needed.
In Pasadena, the following instances of water waste are prohibited:
- Outdoor watering is limited to Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday in the spring/summer (April 1- October 31); and is restricted to one day a week on Saturday in the fall/winter (November 1 – March 31), and must be done before 9 a.m and after 6 p.m.
- All property owners must fix leaks, breaks, or other sprinkler system malfunctions when they find them, or within 72 hours of receiving a notice from PWP.
Permanent Water Waste Prohibitions
Pasadena also has Permanent Water Waste Prohibitions in place, which include:
- No watering outdoors between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m., except with a hand-held container or hose with a shut-off nozzle, or for very short periods when adjusting a sprinkler system
- No watering during and within 48 hours after periods of significant rain
- No water flow or runoff: Watering or irrigating any lawn, landscape or other vegetated areas in a manner that causes or allows runoff such that water flows onto adjacent property, non-irrigated areas, private and public walkways, roadways, parking lots or structures is prohibited
- No excessive water flow or runoff onto pavement, gutters or ditches from watering or irrigating landscapes or vegetation of any kind
These restrictions do not apply to the exemptions outlined in the Pasadena Municipal Code, which include:
- Landscape irrigation zones that exclusively use low flow drip type irrigation systems where no emitter produces more than 2 gallons of water per hour;
- Watering or irrigating by use of a hand-held bucket or similar container, or a hand-held hose equipped with a water shut-off nozzle or device;
- Watering for very short periods of time for the express purpose of adjusting or repairing an irrigation system;
- Maintenance of trees as necessary to sustain their health and viability;
- Maintenance of vegetation, including fruit trees and shrubs, intended for consumption;
- Maintenance of landscape for fire protection
To learn more about Pasadena’s permanent water waste restrictions and city ordinance, please click here.
WARNINGS AND FINES
PWP will work closely with customers to provide helpful information and issue written warnings for first offenses. However, customers who continue to violate the ordinance will face fines for future violations. Fine amounts range from $100 to $500 and are double for non-residential customers with meters of 1 ½” or larger. Flow restrictors may also be used to achieve compliance. A customer does have the right to a hearing if a written request is received by PWP within ten (10) days of the date of notification. To request a hearing and fine waiver click here.
See PMC Sections 13.10.065 to .095 in the Water Waste Prohibition ordinance for details on fines.